Wednesday, March 27, 2013

CAJUN CHICKEN PIZZA WITH LAVOSH CRUST

LOTS OF GREAT FLAVOR IN THIS CAJUN CHICKEN ON LAVOSH PIZZA
Son #2 took me to lunch a couple of weeks ago, suggesting a trendy spot only a 10 minute drive from home.  The menu had so many wonderful choices so it was a surprise when we each ordered the same meal.  Our lunch choice was what I would call a pizza using lavosh bread as the crust.  We decided to invite the family for Sunday dinner where we re-created our lunch for everyone to try, but our version was missing some of the great flavor from our special lunch.  What we made was really good, but we learned from that experience and tonight I tried again.  Now I have a recipe that is one to keep and to share.  Son #2 agrees that no changes are necessary and we have successfully re-created our great lunch.

I purchased a package of whole wheat lavosh bread at Trader Joe's as my base.  I used two breads which fed 3 adults.  I placed these breads on a parchment (or rsilicone sheets are wonderful) lined baking sheet.

First I set my oven to 400^  and place one rack near the middle and one closer to the bottom of the oven.  While waiting for the oven to heat I sliced 3 chicken breasts into 1" strips.  I placed parchment paper on a baking sheet, arranged the chicken on the paper so that no strips touched, drizzled them with olive oil, and gave them a good shaking of Cajun spices.  Slide the baking sheet into the oven on the rack near the middle.

The chicken was cooked perfectly, tender and juicy, in about 20 minutes.

Turn the oven to 425^ after removing chicken.

While the chicken roasted, I made a 1/4 cup of sauce made from 1/2 mayo and 1/2 catsup,  (fry sauce) which I spread on the lavosh.  Next 2 Roma tomatoes were thinly sliced and those slices were laid on top of the sauce.

Then I chose to layer on 2 varieties of cheese, Provolone and Feta.   I had sliced Provolone that I use in sandwiches in my fridge, so  I used 6 slices which  I cut into1/2 inch strips.  These strips were laid on top of the tomato slices and then I added a generous handful of feta cheese to each pizza.  Mozzarella cheese would work  well in place of the Provolone.  Now I added a couple Tablespoons of pine nuts to each pizza.  This is a very flavorful touch and these nuts give more flavor when roasted as the pizza bakes.

Next I added diced red onion, which I had on hand.  Our lunch variety came with sliced scallions.  Either are great.  Because I wanted additional color I picked a little parsley from my garden which I chopped roughly and set aside.

My chicken is now perfectly roasted and removed from the oven.  I turned each strip upside down and let them rest for 5 minutes in the pan juices.  After resting I sliced the strips into 1" chunks, tossed them with more shakes of Cajun spices and Italian spices.  The Cajun spices give some "heat" to this recipe and the Italian spices are great with this combination of ingredients.  Use each to taste.  You may need to add a little salt, depending on your Cajun mix.

Now the chicken is ready to add to the pizza.  Last, garnish the top with the chopped parsley (or scallions).

This pizza is also wonderful with sliced portabella mushrooms instead of chicken for a vegetarian meal.  No pre-baking necessary.

When all the pizza ingredients have been added put the pizzas on the baking sheet into the oven on the rack near the bottom for 5 or 6 minutes.  The edges of the lavosh bread should be a little browned and barely crispy.  The Provolone cheese should be melted.

Using a pizza cutter, slice each pizza into 8 pieces.  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment